Thursday, November 5, 2009

Review - Homeade Laundry Detergent

I have been using my homeade liquid laundry detergent for a couple of weeks now. So what do I think? I love the stuff. I did make too much of it. That was my fault for not fully reading the directions. It was very easy to make just too much. I was trying to keep it in the pot until I needed it, but the Hubs made me throw it out. It is very cheap to make so he said I was not wasting that much money. So ok I threw it out.

I did make some modifications though. I could not find the Dr. Bronner's Mild Baby Soap, so I used Burt's Bees soap, no fragrance. The mildest I could find. I cannot remember the actual name of it. Also, I think the recipe said to use 1/4 c for each load and I felt I needed WAY more than that. I used 1-1.5 c per load. So out of the 4 quarts of detergent I kept (the recipe made 10 quarts I think) I got 18-20 loads of laundry.

One positive I did have from this is our clothes smell great. The other night I was laying next to the Hubs and his shirt smelled so good. I love the smell of fresh laundry.

This time I am going to try dry detergent.

Here is the recipe I am going to use (modified from The Good Wife):

1 bar of soap (I will be using the Burt's Bees again. It is easier to find)
1c borax
1c baking soda
1c washing soda

Each load will use 2tsp. of detergent. I might cut this recipe down just in case we do not like it, but I have heard nothing but positives.

I will let the Hubs decide which he likes best and that is the one I will use.

No comments:

Post a Comment