Thursday, March 18, 2010

#4: Get educated with books and documentaries


You gotta love Netflix. I was on a documentary kick, so not only did we watch Food, Inc., we watched Good Hair. Every time I hear those words together I cringe. I have been natural since 2004, so I am used to hearing the stereotypes. I also have learned how to do my own hair (which is actually not common in the black community). And for the most part I make my own hair products. So nothing said in this documentary was new to me, but it was interesting to see the billion, yes that is with a "B", dollar industry at its finest. It is amazing to me that people will go without food to have their hair looking good. It was sad to see black children and teens thinking that they had to look like the white people on tv to look "good". And to see how this idea carries over into adulthood. But delivered by Chris Rock, you have no choice but to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment