Monday, May 23, 2011

Vegetarian Chili in the Crockpot

The Hubs and I are trying to get fit. We did a "diet" called the Fat Smash Diet. I discussed it on my other blog. Part of it lead to us eating a lot of beans. And I mean a lot. Well, I got tired of lima beans and was trying to find something different. So I went on the search for a vegetarian chili recipe in the crock pot.

I wanted the recipe to be as healthy as possible and made from dried beans. I was surprised that it was hard to find a recipe that was made from dried beans and not canned. After searching and searching, I found 2 recipes that I modified to come up with my recipe. I am sorry, but I do not remember where I got these recipes.

Vegetarian Chili in the Crock pot

Ingredients
  • ~ 1.5 cups pinto beans (dried)
  • ~ 1 cup kidney beans (dried)
  • ~ 1/2 - 1 cup kidney beans (dried)
  • 32. oz vegetable broth
  • water
  • 28 oz. crushed or diced tomatoes
  • 7 oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • red/yellow/orange pepper (diced)
  • 1/2 - 1 onion
  • 2 - 3 carrots
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 16 oz. frozen sweet corn
  • salt (as desired)
  • shredded cheese, sour cream, chives to garnish (if desired)
Directions:
  1. Rinse dried beans thoroughly.
  2. Place beans in a container. Completely cover with water and soak beans overnight (at least 8 hours).
  3. Rinse beans until water runs clear.
  4. Place beans in crock pot.
  5. Put 32 oz. of vegetable broth on beans. If beans are not completely covered with liquid, add water until they are. Add salt if desired.
  6. Cook on high for 3 hours.
  7. Meanwhile, chop onions, carrots, and peppers and set aside.
  8. After 3 hours, add diced tomatoes and all diced veggies.
  9. Add liquid from can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Depending on desired hotness and chipotle peppers. (I like mine rather mild so I only add 1 pepper. If you like yours really hot, I recommend blending the entire can into a puree and then adding to crock pot.)
  10. Add salt if desired.
  11. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Until beans are soft.
  12. When almost done (last hour), add frozen carrots.
  13. Season to taste with salt.
Verdict: The Hubs and I love this recipe. You can eat it alone or put it over brown rice. It is very yummy. I made this when we were doing the Fat Smash Diet and we were on a limited diet. I also use all organic ingredients from the beans to the veggies. I usually cook this overnight. About 3 hours before I go to bed, I will start the beans. Right before bed I will add the rest of the ingredients. The Hubs gets up for work about an hour before me and he will add the corn. When I get up I turn the crock pot off and the meals is done. This will last us an entire week. Delicious. And this recipe is easily customizable. You can add whatever veggies you like. You can add potatoes. You can do whatever you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment