Tuesday, May 18, 2010

#27: Read 50 Non-crime books



I recently read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. This book journeys the story of a family that moves to Virginia and decides to eat locally and in season for an entire year. I admired there level of commitment to eating locally. It inspired me to do better in my own life. Some of the book made me a little jealous. Like they had tons of space to make their own garden and grew a wide variety of food. Most of the food they ate during the year came from their own garden. Also, they live in a community that supports local eating. Their neighbors have their own garden or farms. They also had a large farmers market community. I don't live too far from Virginia, but I do not feel the same community to local living here. I was also jealous of the amount of storage space they had to save for the winter. Part of my issue with being able to do this is I do not have the space.

The book also has a ton of recipes specific to the season. The recipes and more information can be found on their website. The sounded so yummy and when I get a chance I plan on making some of them.

This is definitely a book to read if you want to know more about how to eat in season and the vast benefits of doing so. And since this is educating myself on green living it also covers #4 on my 101 in 1001 list.

No comments:

Post a Comment